Wednesday, July 30, 2008

EARTHQUAKE!

you dont have experiences like this and NOT blog about it! I have now learned a lot about earthquakes. they are totally unpredictable! I was in the shower the kids were watching a movie chris was combing his hair and ciera was on the other side of the apartment by herself. at 11:42 the shower started throwing me against the wall and then kicked me out like it was saying, "you have exceeded the time limit!" I got out soaking wet and then the apartment was swaying back and forth (not very comforting from a few floors up. It was over before the panic really set in (for me anyway). Ciera, on the other hand, was scared to death because she was all alone in the kids room and who knows what she was thinking. All I know is that she wanted to be held for a long time and she seemed to be really untrusting of the ground. they said it measured 5.8 on the scale but it could be a precurser to a bigger quake so I packed the kids in the car. grabbed some food (even managed to take my candy stash on my way out) I was all dramatic thinking if something terrible happens atleast I have a twix! I went to my friends house and helped her clean up the stuff that fell from her walls and hung out for a while until I felt safe to return home. It was an experience to say the least. After it was all said and done I can now say that I have felt an earthquake and hopefully it will be my last!

10 comments:

Autumn said...

Hey a Twix is all you need!
My sister lives in Loma Linda right now. And she said a few weeks ago they had a really short earthquake(like 1 or 2 seconds) That was her first. But then she said that yesterday's was just like being in a movie. She said that just like the camera shakes to let the audience know that that is what is happening, is exactly what it looked like in real life. I'm glad you guys are all ok. But be glad that you won't be there when the that huge one they are predicting to happen(99.9% chance) in the next 10 years will occur. My sister will be glad to not be there as well.

Kami Milliron said...

Wow, I can't even imagine being in the shower when something like that happened. It is a good thing everyone is okay. I know that I would be freaked out too since we are on the 3rd floor. It is amazing that something that only lasts a few seconds can do so much damage.

Thanks for your comment, I knew we would be able to see the heart beating but I didn't think you could hear it until like 12 weeks or something. So we were very surprised to hear it loud and clear. I am due on March 15th and since I have to have c - sections, that will be the day I deliver. It is nice to know in advance !

Ashley Harris said...

Wow, Crazy! I'm glad you are all ok! I thought about you when I read in the paper this morning about the earthquake, I'm glad to know that although you felt it that nothing too serious happened.

Dee said...

Earthquakes are SO scary! I'm glad it wasn't very big. I can't believe you got thrown out of the shower! WOW! I have so many funny earthquake memories from growing up there. One time, all of us kids were screaming under the table during one and my dad was still sitting there just eating his cereal. And another time my little brother had been in the shower when it struck and ran out screaming and streaking through the house!

Now you have had the FULL California experience!

Susan said...

Ever time we went to visit my grandparents in Cali, I was always scared we were going to die in an earthquake. That was when I was little but I think I would pee my pants if it really ever happened and in the shower!!! Thats even worse!! Your a tough girl though when do you get to move back to Utah or somewhere else? What are the plans now??

Kristen said...

Hey Tiff! Looks like you are surviving Cali well! Your hair is amazing! Keep in touch, we sure miss you guys!
Kristen

Mandy said...

So now you're going to move back to Utah where there's a really big earthquake expected some time... Hope you get lucky!
Marshall

Anonymous said...

Scary! Something you will definitely remember!

Varney Family said...

I am so glad you are ok! I would have totally lost it and driven back home right away. Good for you for sticking it out! We sure miss you guys.

Magdalena said...

Miss you tiff!