Thursday, January 10, 2008

public speaking!!!!!!!!!

I was asked to give a talk in sacrament meeting this sunday on setting christlike goals. this is not a cop-out. I am doing my research I just thought I would ask to see if anyone has any suggestions because the topic is broad and I could go a number of different ways in preparing for it! any scriptorians out there? I sure could use your help too!
thanks!

13 comments:

Natalie said...

your blog looks great and it looks like you guys went home and had pictures taken again! Very nice... the thing that came to mind for me was service. I would like to be more charitable and christlike this year and thing more of others. Not much help..sorry!

BandHGardner said...

It's never a cop-out to ask for suggestions. It's always nice to get ideas from another perspective!

Some of my favorite scriptures regarding this topic is D&C 76 verses 50-70. It talks about the characteristics of those who will qualify for the Celestial Kingdom. vs 52: "by KEEPING THE COMMANDMENTS they might be washed and cleansed from all of their sins"; vs 53: who OVERCOME BY FAITH" (what an interesting characteristic... what does that mean to you?); vs 61: "let no man glory in man, but rather let him glory in God". These verses also talk about the benefits of having these Christlike goals. All audiences want to know "what's in it for me?" So, these scriptures identify what, and why, you just have to figure out ways to explain how.

I hope this helps. It's just my two cents!

Good luck. I am sure you will do very well.

Holly

daveandlisa said...

I told you how well I do when I have to give a talk in sacrament so I'm sure you don't want any advice from me...Good luck! Wish I could come listen. You are such an awesome person that I'm sure your talk will be amazing.

Brooke and Brett Martin said...

ohhhh girlfriend. i have a pit in my stomach not only for you...BUT FOR ME B/C I HAVE TO SPEAK A WEEK FROM THIS SUNDAY!!!! are you dying??? just say lots of prayers and you will do GREAT. Christlike goals. well, let's see. our topic is on HARMONY IN THE HOME. and so i'm basing my talk on the 3 main topics that help us as parents become more Christlike in order to obtain harmony in the home. it's just a cycle as we know it. So I'm touching base on the importance of prayer in the home, scripture study in the home, fhe, good music (setting a spiritual environment in the home before kids leave to school), and then emphasising importance of sharing spiritual experiences with them. I hope this helps. you'll do great. GOOD LUCK GIRL.

Stacy said...

So glad it's you and not me! We are extremely sick right now, but maybe we will be feeling well enough on Sunday to make it to your talk.

For me, this topic immediately makes me think of New Years Resolutions. Often times these are very self centered (such as losing weight). I'm sure if Christ were to set a New Years resolution (not that he would need to!) it would be much more focused on other people. Such as being a better spouse, parent, visiting/home teacher (that is not directed toward you, you are a great visiting teacher!), doing better at your calling, etc.
Sorry no scripture references, just ideas.

Anonymous said...

I love using the Ensign more than scriptures even, because the prophets and apostles put things so perfectly. I would think of like 4 Christlike goals (loving thy neighbor, keeping the sabbath, etc) and do a magazine search on lds.org for some articles about them. Once you read an article, if something really jumps out at you, jot it down in your own words on a word document. You can use as many articles as you want, just pulling out what you really relate to and than you feel you could expound on. It's kind of like reading the VT message and then when you visit your sisters you only go over what you found to be most important.

Trina said...

Your picture is so cute! Good color cordinating! You are beautiful!

Maren said...

oh wow, you are asking the wrong person! i havent even had the "opportunity" to speak in church....knock on wood. im sure you will do great though. better you than me!

Anonymous said...

Sister-in-law, you guys look sooo good in your picture, your hard work payed off in finding your outfits:) I love what Landon is wearing he looks so cute. His uncle Brian loved his tie. Love ya

Natalie said...

Hey hon, I just got called to be the ward choir director!! Eek! Let me know if you have any ideas on songs to sing. xo nat

Rachel Stewart said...

Tiffany, How's the talk coming?? Your topic is one of those killers because there is really no end to the direction you could go. I think I would probably just pick one Christlike attribute and then talk about goals to help achieve that one. Like pick Charity or something. And then go from there. The other thing that might be helpful is Chapter 6 in the Preach My Gospel manual. The whole thing is about developing Christlike attributes. GOOD luck!! I know you will do great!

Rachel Stewart said...

I am such a dork. I just noticed the date on your post. A little to late. Sorry. So how did it go??

Rachel Stewart said...

Tiff- my email address is rachelstewartpm@hotmail.com. I would love to hear from you...although I don't know what help I'll be able to offer about parenting. Looks like I need advice from you. So glad the talk went well.